Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Scott Pilgrim" breaks new ground, but makes a huge mistake with Ramona Flowers: B


Almost everything about this movie was awesome. Let's start off with the awesome:

- The special effects were practically perfect. It's hard to explain, really. The fight scenes were definitely reminiscent of Super Mario, Street Fighter, and the like. Everything from the actual moves to the traces of blue that shadowed each punch and kick. Visually, this movie was really well done.

- The music kicked ass! I found myself tapping my feet to the sound of Sex-Bob-Omb, the fictional band that Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) plays bass in. I am definitely going to download the soundtrack and bump in the car on my way to work in the mornings.

- Michael Cera, as always, was hilarious. Ever since I watched "Arrested Development," I knew this kid would be huge. His awkward moments are nothing short of comedy gold. Jason Schwartzman was pretty funny too, although he's had better moments (I Heart Huckabees). The real comedic surprise came from Kieran Culkin, who plays Scott's gay roommate.

- Even though I have a vagina, I appreciated the tale of one boy's quest to fight his way to love. Scott's battles are a metaphor for what almost every boy goes through when dealing with the baggage of newfound love. Even though most guys in the real world won't have to duel the League of Evil Exes, it must feel like that, right? Especially if you spend a lot of your time playing video games.

Ok, let's move on to the only issue I had with this movie (please prepare, I'm about to rant):

- I'm really over the whole "mysterious-girl-who-dyes-her-hair-different-colors-but- she-really-intrigues-me" thing. Did anyone else see Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind!? Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and others like her are purely fiction. I've known girls like her, in fact, my ex-best friend was one such girl. Pretentious, quirky, shy, with hair as damaged as Mel Gibson's frontal lobe.

"That little bitch stole my schtick! I'm going to read Sylvia Plath now."


The idea that she's so unique and NOT insane is a lie. She's been abused in some way (most likely sexual) and she's 100% crazy. Now, I can understand when nice, non screwed-up-in-the-head guys go for that type, if she's got a rockin' body and a pretty face. But Ramona was plain, unattractive, and had a horrific sense of style. (You know, wearing leggings under a perfectly cute black dress to let the world know how insecure you are). In the end, Scott chooses Ramona over Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), which really left me with a bad taste in my mouth. If you had to fight off 7 evil exes that nearly took your head off, wouldn't the sweet and non-dangerous Asian girl start to look like your best option?

In the end, "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" was a really fun movie to watch. All the elements came together and worked, which a lot of people (including myself) were skeptical of. Go see this movie.

1 comment:

  1. great blog!
    haven't seen the movie but - i think dising the non dangerous Asian girl fits in with the theme; everyone has a past. Ramona has shitty exes and Scott has broken some hearts. seems pretty true to most people's lives. minus the "SONIC BOOM!"
    can't wait to see it thou - the commercials they're running now make me feel guilty for not seeing it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...