Thursday, July 15, 2010

Eerie, funny, overwhelmingly sad - "Moon" is reminiscent of 'Donnie Darko': A

Sam Rockwell, where have you been since "Matchstick Men?" Allow me to kiss you on the cheek and welcome you back.

Where to start with this thing. In the future, man learns to harvest lunar energy in order to keep Earth from almost-certain destruction. Like oil drillers, astronauts are shot up to the moon for a period of 3 years, while they fulfill their drilling contract with Lunar Industries. Sam Rockwell is said astronaut, who's starting to go a little crazy up there.

I don't want to give too much away, because, like 'Donnie Darko', there's definitely a major epiphany that slaps our protagonist in the face...and the unraveling of their sanity is crucial to fully understanding and enjoying the film.

Let's just say, don't think you're going crazy and seeing double.

Sam Rockwell can CRY. I mean, CRY. His normal character persona of sarcasm and snarkiness wouldn't hint to his ability to fucking act. He will break your heart in the film.

I really can't think of what to say. This movie has left me speechless, even though its been 5 days since I first watched it. The effects are lingering - proof of something amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Loved Moon. Sam Rockwell was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this film; it has become my favourite sci fi movie, and since sci fi is probably my favourite genre that's saying a lot - between Sam Rockwell, the masterful restraint of the direction and the heartbreaking score I'd say it's a near perfect movie. This will most definitely be on my Life In Movies Blogathon, which I have yet to figure out but most definitely will :p To be honest, I rate it higher than Donnie Darko, even though the subtext of the manipulations of Donnie's life are so beautifully designed it's hard to say which is more heartbreaking. I think I might do a comparison post on that now I think about it...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...