Monday, July 19, 2010

Dear Chris Nolan, You Complete Me: "Inception" - A+

Originally, I was simply going to create a one-word review for this film. In giant letters, the word "FUCK." I really didn't know if I was going to able to write a full review for the BEST movie in recent years - yeah, it was that amazing.

I'm not going to sit here and explain to you the inner-workings of the subconscious or the theory of dreams. And the movie didn't do that either. Instead, it hypnotizes you, as you tumble down the rabbit hole with Dom Cobb (Leo DC) and his team. As dream infiltrators, the team must follow general rules and restrictions, which are NEVER broken in the film. Unlike 'The Matrix,' if one dies in the first level dream state, they are simply awoken in the real world; but if one dies in the third or fourth dream state (the deepest Dom is willing to go), then they end up in Limbo, waiting for 50 years in the dream state, while only a few days go by in the real world.

This movie was truly romantic. Dom's relationship with his wife, Mal (played by Marion Cotillard; gorgeous!) is the central plot. After spending years together in Limbo and building a forgotten city, upon their return Mal starts to lose it. She believesthat their children are not real. She believes that they are still in the dreaming state. Not able to cope with the sudden change in in his beloved wife, Dom must do something to give her peace of mind. After all, Dom tells the team not to fear the Inception, because he has done it once before.

Ok, I'm getting sick of trying to be eloquent. You want my honest opinion?


Christopher Nolan is a fucking genius. I have not been so emotionally involved in a film since I saw the midnight showing of 'The Fellowship Of The Ring'. Leo was amazing, but JGL and Marion Cotillard were the stars to me. I cried so fucking hard, TWICE. I walked out of the theatre, wondering if the world we live in is real. Any film that makes you question your own version of reality deserves all the praise and applause in universe.

Visually stunning, emotionally poignant, and perfectly cast. Please believe I'm going back to the theatre to see it again.

P.S. - A lot of people have a lot of questions about the film. I encourage you to find the answers on your own, because once you do, you just must pass out from the ideas that are planted into your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...